How To Use The Grid Technique
Mar 19, 2020
The GRID TECHNIQUE is a simple way to transfer and/or enlarge an image onto another surface.
View the video above to see the sequence of steps.
- select a reference photo or sketch
- using a ruler or a t-square, create a one inch grid on top of either the photo or a separate piece of tracing paper that can be re-used.
- label the boxes with numbers across the top and letters down the sides to make it easy to keep track of the separate boxes
- create another grid on your final painting surface. This can be done with ANY size boxes. I used a 1.5" grid on the watercolor board in the video and a 1" grid on the tracing paper.
- slowly, draw whatever you see in box A1 into the A1 box on the final surface
- continue to draw A2, A3, A4 etc. until the entire drawing is enlarged on the final surface
You will have a perfectly proportioned image transferred and ready for painting or drawing!